Friday, April 6, 2012

bucket list for my brother

It has been some time since I wrote anything here. Don't know if it's because I've not been inspired or just lost interest. But new situations arise that give me pause and question a lot of what I know.

My brother, Larry, called me this last Wednesday evening with some very bad news. Before I knew the news I made a stupid blunder. He has just moved from Trinidad and still had his Trinidad cell phone in use. He called me from it and ask me to call him back on it. I asked him straight away if this was that old international phone and he said yes. I replied that this call was costing me 3 to 4 dollars a minute and asked him to call me back. He said sure. Then after he called me back he told me the bad news I felt like a fool. After telling my sister Gingie this story, she used an good term. She said, "oh and you feel like such a tool!" A tool is right.

His news was that he had cancer and the prognosis was bad. He was told he only had a month to live. I didn't know what to say. I was not the first one of my 8 brothers and sisters to find out and I wasn't the last. He had lost track of who he had talked to. I come to find out he is on some good pain medicine along with anti-anxiety and anti-depression drugs. Sorta loopy and forgetful.

I have decided to push the pause button at work, take a month off and just go be with him, help him, however I can. My logical mind is going though all sorts of things I may need to help with, least of which is getting his affairs in order. I've called my favorite lawyer for help, Lindsey. So much more.

So off I go tomorrow on a different sort of adventure. Maybe is will be a bucket list of my making so he goes out with a smile. Like someone suggested, I will play through the old tapes, the good times with him, showing him how much his love has meant to me, his family and friends.

Peace,
Philip

No comments: